How To Wash Your Felted Cashmere Scarf At Home?
We’re sure you are in love with your felted cashmere scarfs so much so that you can’t stop yourself from wearing them often.
And we’re not surprised! The elegance, luxury, and warmth that it offers are simply irresistible. However, sometimes some ‘oops!’ moments happen when you accidentally stain your favorite clothes. These mishaps can happen with your Felted Cashmere Scarf too! So to tackle moments like these, it will be best for you to go through this simple guide which explains how to wash felted cashmere scarf at home.
Table of Contents
- Is Felted Cashmere Washable?
- Wash Felted Cashmere Scarf at home
- Can you wash Felted Cashmere Scarves in the washing machine?
- Machine Wash
- How to spot clean the Felted Cashmere Scarf?
- How often should you wash your Felted Cashmere Scarf?
- Does Cashmere shrink in the wash?
- Is it better to hand wash or dry clean Cashmere?
- How to remove wrinkles in a Felted Cashmere Scarf?
- Steaming the Felted Cashmere Scarf
- Ironing the Felted Cashmere Scarf
Now you may be wondering – Is Felted Cashmere washable?
Yes! hand Felted Best Cashmere scarf is absolutely washable. Since cashmere wool is animal hair, just like your hair, it is easily washable. Just like you take special care of your hair, you’ve to do something similar for your felted cashmere too.
Before you jump into the process of washing felted cashmere, there are some easy rituals that you need to follow.
– Check the care label
Check the label. It may have some important washing information that will prevent you from making any mistakes. 100% pure cashmere is quite sensitive, and to make it last long, it is important to take care of some basic instructions.
– Color of your scarf
Separate your scarves into varying colors before washing them. Especially the light and dark tones. During the washing process, colors may bleed, causing unnecessary harm to your precious cashmere.
– Right washing solution
The harsh everyday detergents aren’t the right choices for your delicate felted cashmere. Instead, use cashmere shampoo or mild cleaning solutions for natural wools that are friendly to your scarves. If you seek an alternative, soft baby shampoo or your good quality mild hair shampoo will do the deed.
Now that we have taken the necessary precautions, let’s start with cleaning and washing.
Wash Felted Cashmere Scarf At Home
Many people ponder upon the question, Does cashmere shrink in the wash? Does water ruin cashmere? These are genuine concerns since felted cashmere needs more care than the rest.
So, What is the best way to wash 100% Pure Felted Cashmere Scarves?
The best way to wash your 100% Pure Felted Cashmere Scarves is to wash them with your hands! Follow the instructions, and in no time, you’ll be a felted cashmere washing expert!
- Fill a container with cool or lukewarm water, enough to completely soak your felted cashmere scarf.
- Add two caps full or a good squirt of cashmere shampoo or mild hair shampoo in the water, and mix it properly.
- Submerge the felted cashmere scarf completely and swirl properly to agitate the dust particles to lift off from the cashmere fibers and move away. Also, soaking allows the shampoo to enter deep into the felted fiber webs, ensuring deep cleaning.
- Keep the cashmere soaked for about 20-25 minutes with occasional swirling.
- Drain out the soapy water and rinse the scarf with cool water.
- Squeeze and gently wring the scarf to remove the excess water.
- For drying, lay the scarf on a flat surface or hang it for air drying. These felted cashmere scarves are ultralight and strong to retain their shape. It takes about 2 to 4 hours to completely dry at room temperature.
That’s how it’s done! Now you know, hand washing your felted cashmere scarf is quite easy!
But what if your busy schedule doesn’t let you spare some time out for this manual chore?
And that makes you ask “Can you wash Felted Cashmere Scarves in the washing machine?”
It’s a yes! We’ll show you how.
Note down the things that you’ll need to machine wash your Felted Cashmere Scarves.
- A mesh washing bag – Your felted cashmere scarf is quite delicate to let alone swirl in the cycles of the washing machine. It is advisable to put them in the mesh washing bag and set them on for the cycles.
- Mild shampoo – This is the same shampoo that we talked about for the hand-washing process. Any mild shampoo or special wool washing solutions will work.
Put your felted cashmere into the mesh washing bag and set it up for the machine cycles.
- Keep the temperature settings of the water- low, as we don’t want hot water ruining the soft cashmere fibers.
- Select the most delicate cycle or the slowest cycle speed on the machine. The rigorous cycles will do more harm than good to the felted cashmere.
- For drying, do not use the machine dryer. Lay the scarf on a flat surface or hang it for air drying.
Do not use bleach at any point in the washing process. Since cashmere hair is just like human hair, bleach can damage the sensitive fibers of cashmere. The weakened fibers will reduce the life of your Felted Cashmere Scarves.
There are times when you accidentally stain your Felted Cashmere Scarf, and you need to spot clean the stained areas since you don’t want to wash the whole scarf. We have a solution for that too!
How to spot clean the Felted Cashmere Scarf?
These basic steps will clean the stained areas without any hassle.
– Use a toothbrush
Take a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently brush away the excess dirt in one direction. Don’t scrub harshly or rub it on the fabric in a circular motion, as it will cause more harm than good to your felted cashmere.
– Dab with a damp cloth
Consider dabbing the area with a damp cloth If the dirt won’t go away with the gentle brushing. You may use a bit of mild shampoo or cashmere shampoo at this point. Use gentle pressure and avoid any scrubbing. Bleach is not recommended.
In these ways, the spots and stains will loosen out and fade away!
There are some questions that you may frequently come across. So we are addressing them here.
How often should you wash your Felted Cashmere Scarf?
It actually depends on the number of times you’ve worn it. On average, wearing it after 9-10 times will make it filthy enough to take it for a wash.
Make sure to wash before storing your Felted Cashmere Scarves for the off-season.
Does Cashmere shrink in the wash?
Hot washing may shrink the Felted Cashmere Scarves. The safest way is to wash them in cool to lukewarm water.
Is it better to hand wash or dry clean Cashmere?
Hand wash is recommended for the 100% Pure Cashmere Scarves. The chemicals used for dry cleaning are harsh for the delicate cashmere fibers. Don’t dry clean your Felted Cashmere Scarves unless it’s mentioned in the care label.
After cleaning and washing your 100% Pure Felted Cashmere Scarves, they might build up some wrinkles on drying. So, these wrinkles need to be removed to have sleeker-looking scarves with better drape and fall.
How to remove wrinkles in a Felted Cashmere Scarf?
Steaming and flat ironing are the two simple ways to remove wrinkles in Felted Cashmere Scarves. Out of these two, steaming is the most credible one. Let’s see how.
Steaming the Felted Cashmere Scarf
‘Can you steam Cashmere?’ is one of the first questions that come to people’s minds when they’ve got their Felted Cashmere Scarves wrinkled. And the answer to this question is an absolute yes! In fact, it is the most recommended approach to remove wrinkles.
To remove wrinkles:
- Layout the scarf on a flat surface or hang it.
- Steam the Felted Cashmere by keeping a distance of at least two inches between the scarf and the steamer.
- Let the scarf cool down before wearing or storing it.
We know there would be many cases when a fabric steamer would not be available. And this is when we’ll use a flat iron to remove wrinkles.
Ironing the Felted Cashmere Scarf
‘Can you iron Cashmere?’ – is something many cashmere wearers ponder upon, as they may feel heat can damage their precious cashmere. With few precautionary steps, you sure can iron your Felted Cashmere Scarves.
Just keep following things in check to use your flat iron for Felted Cashmere Scarf like a pro-
- Lay flat your cashmere scarf on the ironing board.
- Keep a towel or any other light-colored cloth on the scarf as a protective layer. This will retain the natural fluff of the scarf.
- Set your iron to the appropriate setting for wool, or set it to the lowest temperature.
- Gently iron the layers in stroking movements.
We’re sure this wholesome guide has made your life easier with the seemingly tedious task of washing and cleaning your 100% Pure Felted Cashmere Scarves. We’ve also taken you through the process of removing wrinkles from your scarves by steaming or flat ironing them, making them look like new!
Now forget all your worries. Use your Feathery Cashmere Scarves as neck wrap or blankets for decades to come!